Tuesday, November 01, 2005

# The Story of Light

I miss the murukku! ommapadi! chippi! etc etc... Not being in Malaysia, I have to just settle for a packet of 250g murukku which costed me 2 pounds! :)

An e-card (copyrighted by Compufield) from a friend, K, really warms my heart. A simple wish, a special occassion, just brings everyone regardless of races together. Although I did not manage to go over to my neighbour's house this year to celebrate, nor did I have a chance to watch people make the beautiful patterns of rangoli, I feel the joy of the Festival of the Lights.

The notion of using LIGHTS in the festival gives me a chance to do some reflection, about the significance of light in good over evil, valor, peace, confidence, hope, and enlightenment. Speaking about lights, I recalled a story I read somewhere:

"A girl saw a blind man carrying a lantern in the dark. She felt curious and asked him why he needs a lantern as he was blind. The blind man explained that he wants to lighten up the street so that people can see their way.

The girl was about to praise him for being so selfless to lighten up the street for others, when the man continued, 'I do this for myself. By lightening up the street, people can see their way, and will not bump into me.' "

A simple story, which tells of great teachings on the way we lead our lifes. To light up our world, we must first learn to give lights to others. To shine in our lifes, we must first learn to help others shine. Giving away does not diminish our wealth, or capacity to give even more. We gain more when we give. A simple selfless act which may not see any return, is actually a gread deed which not only cultivates our morality, but also helps us in becoming a better person.

3 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Well, you know what they say. One of the kindest things you can do for someone is to let them do something kind for you.

Pandabonium said...

The food sounds good, especially murukku. What is chippi? I am not familiar with that.

Light is used often in many religions to represent different things. Who that have know sight cannot rejoice at the light of even a single candle in the darkness?

YD said...

Chippi is a kind of floury type of sweets. a bit sticky.. i hope i remembered it correctly what i have been eating at that time. haha..

A candle in darkness, little the flame may be, exudes much hopes and chances that lie ahead. Even when we are at the darkest pitch, a single ray of light gives us the will to go on.