Wednesday, September 21, 2005

# Broadband Fiasco

Being appointed the IT Service Manager of the house, I found myself at loss of how to deal with technical support in the beginning. :-P

We subscribed for broadband, only to realize that the modem and our wireless router are not compatible. We have a USB modem and an ethernet router - communication breakdown between these two fellas.

After evaluating different options (from getting an ethernet modem, to getting a USB router, and to networking via a main server, etc etc) we decided to get a router with built-in modem.

Happily bought a D-link router-cum-modem, but miserably failed at setting it up. Even by consulting D-link technical guy, we still could not figure out how to set it up. In the end, I went back to PC World to exchange for a Linksys, and with the clearer instructions and explanation on the user guide, I learned some new jargons or networking, as well as gained some basic skills of so-called 'technical support'. hehehe, i m on my way to become the tech-guy in the house.

Putting up security measures is another fun challenge. I found myself constantly get blocked accidentally by the security defense that I set up myself. Talk about being locked outside of own house... With trial and error, I finally manage to set up some basic defense wall for our network. Will consult my tech-guru in Nottingham to learn more advanced skills to build a proper fotress soon.

On my way to becoming the NTGOTB. :-)

No comments: