Saturday, October 01, 2005

# Buckingham Palace Summer Opening

Buckingham Palace, the official London residence of the Royal family since 1837, home and office of Her Majesty The Queen, is opened to visitors on regular basis. The Summer opening ends on 30 September, and unfortunately I missed the chance to go in and have a look as all the tickets are sold out like hot cakes.

Quotes from the Official website of the British Monarchy (www.royal.gov.uk):

"The State Rooms of the Palace are lavishly furnished with some of the greatest treasures from the Royal Collection - paintings by Rembrandt, Rubens, Vermeer, Poussin, Canaletto and Claude; sculpture by Canova and Chantrey; exquisite examples of Sèvres porcelain; and some of the finest English and French furniture in the world."

I missed the chance to stroll in the garden where which potrays the Garden Front of the Palace and the 19th lake.

I missed the chance to see the "White Wardrobe" desinged for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother by Norman Hartnell. I also missed the spectacular diamond jewellery in Hartnell's creations.

I missed the chance to see Cecil Beaton's famous series of photographs showing the State Visit to France by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in July 1938.

I missed the chance to see all other extraordinary gifts...

All the treasures, awaits in the Buckingham Palace. And yet I missed this chance to visit. I can only wait until next Summer. :-(

No comments: