Thursday, October 20, 2005

# Deepest Condelence

This morning I was browsing the news quickly before I left home for school, and the headline that caught my eye was shocking. I was left speechless and a sudden grief overwhelmed me.

"P.M. wife dies after bout with breast cancer"
The line reads at the Star Online.

Such strong character, such gentle heart, Datin Seri Endon Mahmood has passed away.

I could not understand why my heart felt so painful, although I have not known her personally. I think, this is the kind of feeling that grows within us as being part of the nation which we are so proud of. She has been a woman who has shown much personality, character, principle and values. Malaysians have been proud of her, just as Malaysians have been proud of our P.M.

With 5 minutes to class, I would have to stop here. My deepest condolence to her, her family, and to Malaysia. We will remember her.

THE STAR ONLINE

4 comments:

Pandabonium said...

My condolences to you, YD.

I know cancer all too well through the loss of an aunt, the suffering of a close friend who lost a breast, and the current battle my high school band director is having with it.

My wish would be that the loss of Endon Mahmood, a much loved and respected person, would result in research being supported more fully and awareness of women increased so that others may be saved.

Any you, dear YD, as a woman, are reminded to check yourself regularly to prevent or catch early on anything that may harm you.

Forgive me if it mentioning that is not considered polite in your culture, but when it comes to serious health issues, I throw politeness out the window in favor of safety.

Take care, and may you feel better about this event after reflecting on it, and accept it, learn from it and transform it into a positive force in your life.

YD said...

Thanks pandabonium (gosh i kept misspelling it as pandemonium now!)

I'm fine with you giving the advice. No worries on the manners/politeness. It's a good and open advice and I thank you.

Women have been battling breast cancer for years, but sadly many are still not really aware of it. In UK I observed a good awareness about the health check, but not in Malaysia. Wish for better campaigns and awareness, or I shall be the force to do that next time! (... a little bit too commanding... pardon me)

@ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Far too polite, Pandabonium! Sometime it's good to be a bit pandemonium, haha!

Malaysia don't have many activist, that's why. If every breast cancer awareness campaign requires few hundred thousands of model with opening ceremony in some five star hotel, erm, please!

So when yd is back, we will teach the public how to hand-check breast cancer...you seems interested, Pandabonium? :p

My heart goes to Endon as well, many of the rich and famous choose to enjoy life, mind their own business. Little that they know single word from their mouth is sometime more powerful than our actions.

Again, we live in a democratic world. Or are we, after all? :)

The Moody Minstrel said...

Pandabonium,

To be fair, you probably should have mentioned prostate cancer, since that is a leading cause of death in men just as breast cancer is in women.

I grew up in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon, but both my parents are from the country. That means I'm part rude suburbanite and part unrefined hick. Needless to say, my manners aren't always up to par.